Blessing of the Backpacks
Our annual Blessing of the Backpacks is held as school bells ring, our children and youth face the beginning of new school year and the end of summer vacation. Students of all ages are invited to bring their backpacks and come down during the worship service for a blessing and a clip-on for their backpack. This clip-on will serve as a reminder throughout the year that no matter what, God is always with them.
Mission and Outreach Opportunities – Kids love to help other people, and we want to give them every opportunity to do so! Outreach projects have included
- Serving meals at the Day Center for the Homeless
- Collecting food, books, toys, and school supplies for children in need
- Making Crosses of Love
- Collecting funds for fresh water stations in Nicaragua through El Porvenir
- Purchasing many animals for needy families through Heifer International
- Raising money for mission projects through UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief). These have included funds for the Happy Children’s Home in China, Moore tornado victims, and those affected by the Nepal earthquakes.
Easter – Each year, New Haven hosts an Easter Egg Hunt for the community children. It is usually held the Sunday before Easter, or Palm Sunday.
Fourth of July – We host a fun-filled 4th of July Bike Parade every year! We parade through the neighborhood, where the streets have been blocked off for safety. After we return to the church, everyone enjoys eating snacks and playing on an inflatable water slide. This fun-filled event is an annual tradition for people in the New Haven neighborhood as well as all over Tulsa.